Monday, January 30, 2012
Reading
I just actually finished reading a book cover to cover in just over a week's time. How about that! I have several books started that just weren't pulling me in. One was a Christmas book from my mom that my sister and I were supposed to read...a tradition. But I only got to a chapter or so of that. I've read bits and pieces of various books with health-related themes. I'm interested in those books but my reading time is before bed and therefore it is a bad time to try to read anything that requires thought and/or processing. I had expressed my troubles to Trav and mentioned that I should read the Twilight series (finally), The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (because it seems like that book always comes up on FB when people ask for a good book), and The Hunger Games series. So Trav came home from the grocery store with the Dragon Tattoo book which I knew nothing about. It hurt my brain to read the first chapter or so, but then I got into it and looked forward to reading it each night and didn't want to put it down. So a good read, especially for a book I knew nothing about. But not really a light read. A little disturbing, a lot disturbing, actually. And I know it's fiction but I'm really bothered by how things were handled. I have a partial understanding of why some actions were taken, and a partial understanding of why some actions were NOT taken, but I want a better understanding. The most disturbing part about the book is that these types of situations/scenarios exist. There are some crazy people out there. No wonder I get creeped out at the thought of jogging in the woods. This book left me with a similar image that Lovely Bones did. (the book...no need to see that movie) except I can at least say the Lovely Bones had a message of hope to it. Dragon Tattoo, not so much. AND it makes me question an author's character when you read such a story. I don't read many "thriller" type stories so I don't know how this compares, but man, or rather this man/author had to devise some sketchiness. Don't want to elaborate on that. So when I finished the book last night I was all pissy. Crap ending. And only just now when looking online for some kind of "critical discussion" did I realize the the other books in the series are related to this one. Duh. I knew there were other books, but somehow I didn't expect them to be the same peeps. And so even though I already told Trav I didn't need to read anymore books on the whole abused women thing that this guy writes about, I just may find myself onto the next one...next time I go to the library. In the meantime I'll crack open the Twilight book from Tasha. Vampires can't be all that bad. Especially the teeny bopper kind. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved the Dragon books. I read the first 2 and I'm in the process of reading the third. They are definitely dark but I still enjoyed them. Lisbeth seems to find a way to cope and fix things.
Post a Comment