Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Allergy Thing

Just to give a quick update on Keller's allergy post, we're doing well, he's doing well. We're keeping the allergens out and rotating the most prominent foods in his diet on a four day basis still. He's taking Larix (larch extract) and a homeopathic supplement every day both to boost his immune system and he has not had so much as a cold since we started this whole madness. So I'm thinking that this whole package deal is really doing the trick for him. I was dreading the whole sick all the time first year of school thing, but fingers crossed that we'll keep going strong! We meet with the doc in February and will hopefully figure out how we can begin reintroducing some of the allergy foods or at least back off a little on the rotation of things...His diet is a bit predictable, especially the breakfasts! Millet day means "millet balls" cereal and hemp milk, Quinoa/oatmeal day usually means oatmeal for breakfast and cows milk which means dairy day, Corn day is either Chex or Kix and coconut milk--there's usually corn cakes (like rice cakes) or corn wraps for lunch or dinner, and Rice day is Rice puffs, crispies, or Chex--rice day is an easier one too because there's rice bread which means pb and j is allowed! Rice cakes, crackers, and just plain old rice make it easy also. Rice wraps, not so yummy or easy for little people to use. When Travis is feeling particularly motivated on a weekend there will be rice or corn-based pancakes which is a nice treat. I gotta tell you that I can't even believe what a great sport Keller has been about all of this. He asks, "Am I allergic to this?" "Someday, can you buy me bread that I'm not allergic to?" We try to make a baked good that he can have on any given day so there's random stashes in the freezer of cornbread, Quinoa apple crisp, Quinoa muffins, oatmeal granola bars...and other random homemade then frozen goods like gluten free chicken nuggets and millet veggie burgers. It's so nice having REAL frozen food to fall back on. I REALLY want to get better at that, not just for Keller's "special" food, but for the whole family. It's so much nicer to eat say a veggie burger that I can actually identify each and every ingredient...know what I mean? If only I didn't hate to cook so much!! Maybe it's not the hating to cook part but rather the distraction of it? Or the distraction that happens when I'm trying to do so? Who the heck knows! Point being, I should make and freeze more real food perhaps even every time I make a freezeable recipe...I'll shut up now!

No comments: