I've been working on a few things here. Namely, me. I think. Since the new year I have been to the gym twice, tried jiu jitsu twice, found a "playground bootcamp" meetup group in Stratford that meets on Friday morning (when Keller is in school) and the kids play in the indoor gym while the parents get some exercise. I'll try that on Friday with Neko. I bought a two month trial pass for Bikram yoga (the hot kind) and will be starting that when Christine returns from Hungary mid-February, and I went to a drum circle. So it's good to be getting out there, though it's not easy...I'm such a stay home kind of gal these days, but once I'm out it's okay. So the two things I'm really trying to work on are 1) exercise (really, my clothes don't fit...) and 2) people (I really need to find people near me that I want to spend time with which means I have to actually make the time to spend with them...which is all part of what I'm working on.)
What I've learned over the past week: I ENJOY exercise. This I know and have known. It's just been so hard to get it in. I'm still in search of a schedule that works for me...I liked going to the gym the other morning before Trav left for work, but typically I much prefer laying in my cozy bed for as long as I can...which is usually near 8 when Trav is up with the kids. Cozy Bed? or Gym? Must prioritize. Then comes Jiu Jitsu. Trav has been "suggesting" it for 3 years now. They even have an all women's class and a conditioning class. What's kept me away for the past three years? Physical contact, aggressiveness, disinterest, money, timing (class is from 7:30-9:00pm) and the fact that Trav is out a couple of nights a week doing his Muay Thai (kickboxing in place of Jiu Jitsu at the same facility). And so and so. I've learned that I'm terribly shy. I have no concept of Jiu Jitsu. And I'm an absolute snob as to who I choose the spend my time with. Which is why I have no new friends. Only the tried and true:) And I thank you for putting up with me and my snobbishness!! But I'm working on it. I recognize that I personally have a hard time connecting with new people because I lack that "small talk" skill that is key to "breaking the ice" which you need to do in order to find ways to connect with people. Ugh. So scientific. I also have less of a base from which to derive my small talk because generally my knowledge base is that of Mom of Two Young Boys which is a wonderful knowledge base but not very diverse. So I'm working on that, too, which is why I dragged my whole family to the drum circle (and everyone enjoyed themselves!) Maybe I can connect with some new people through that type of thing. I just have to make myself GET THERE. I just wish everything I wanted to do was just 10 minutes away. Including YOU, my friend! (I can say that with confidence knowing that only 10 people (max) ever even read my blog which is perfect:)
And so it's 9:45am. Neko's asleep. Keller's at school (hopefully fine by now:( And I'm sitting here still trying to figure things out (in a good way). I've updated my blog. My tea is still relatively warm. The house is relatively clean. I'm enjoying the sound of the rain outside. And in a few minutes, I'll be ready to tackle that giant bin of laundry to fold. And that my friends is a day in the life! Maybe my next post will be about my kids;)
3 comments:
The boot camp class sounds like fun. I love boot camp. Wish we lived closed and I'd go with you. Good job getting out there and exercising. Both are tough.
Each blog makes me love and appreciate you more, my friend. I always feel like you are looking right into my inner thoughts!! I so get it, and am so encouraged that other girls think like me!! PS I'm starting to hate small talk. Who wants to put in the effort about something no one is going to remember?? So mostly that means I stare in silence when hanging out w/ the fam. LOL Just kidding!!!!!!
oopsie - I forgot I changed the name of my blog. That was Vanessa speaking above. :)
Post a Comment