Thursday, January 28, 2010

15 Month Update

We had our 15 month appointment the other day and all is well:) which we expected would be the case. Of course we waited in the waiting room for 40 minutes (ugh) and I caved and actually let Keller touch the bead-toy thing and books after patiently sitting on my lap, reading books, and watching the fishies for the first 25 minutes...But, the tradeoff in all that waiting is that the doctor doesn't rush us and really takes her time with us, which I like. I just need to get that first appointment in the morning from now on!
So the nurse weighed him and was glad to be able to show that he's gained a decent amount of weight since last time (he had only gained a few ounces between his 9 and 12 month visits so they kept weighing him to make sure it was correct)...so he hit 22lbs on the nose, although he did have on a dry new diaper for the weigh-in--oops. And I don't remember his height in inches, but I know that he has officially fallen off the charts as far as that goes. But again, given his weight gain and his slow but steady growth and overall development, there's no cause for concern. His genes have gifted him with the ease of fitting into small places and being more comfortable on airplanes!
The doctor was impressed when he said "Pee pee" and touched the front of his diaper...I explained how since he had been bottomless for so long from his red heiny, he is now very aware of when he goes to the bathroom. I mentioned that we picked up a potty for him just to have on hand and then joked that he needed a stepstool to get on it because it was too high for him and she (being Russian) said that we needed to get a Russian potty for him...she had friends that potty trained at 6 months! The potty is really just a new toy for him to have around ("bobby" he calls it).
He's doing an awesome job with feeding himself, too. He's been having big-boy cereal with milk in it for the past few weeks and uses his spoon the whole time and then begs for more. The only really messy part about it is if I put too much milk in and he picks up the bowl to drink the milk at the end (which I didn't teach him to do...and I don't think Trav did either, he just figured it out:) then milk dribbles right down his front, which is usually bibbed so all is well. He had soup tonight which I just put some extra rice into to make it a little thicker for him, but no problem. He will still go in with the left hand on occasion to get something good out, like a blueberry or a black bean or what have you, but overall, he's a pretty proficient spoon-user. As for the fork, he's been using that for a long time now--he likes to stab his veggies and "burber" (veggie burger) bits or whatever else he can get on there...avocados are tricky so he generally has to squish them to pick them up when they're good and ripe!
And he continues to talk up a storm! I love how we can tell him a new word and he repeats it back (sort of)--He's getting better at naming people, too. He knows his cousins names, the names of the kids we babysit, and some friends names (Joe and Molly come to mind first).
He's not terribly into many toys at home, though he's been playing a lot with a little jar of counting bears and dinosaurs I had from my classroom. He likes this little figure guy (that has no head) and Mr. Potatohead (the glasses continue to be loads of fun for him!) Everything else that occupies his time is generally a non-toy. But he sure can keep busy all day long!
As for me, I love watching every little thing he does. I love how fascinated or silly he can be. I love taking him out of his crib in the morning or after a nap and having him cuddle right up in my shoulder with a hug. And I love that he is becoming more and more independent and curious about other kids around him. I can't imagine him any bigger or any smaller than he is right now. I hope that I always kind of feel that way, that Now is the best time I'll ever have with my little boy, and the next Now, and the next one. I get teary when I think about having a grown up baby boy, but then I have to remind myself not to get distracted from Now. Knowing it goes by so fast, it's oh so important to stay focused on Now.
And one last important bit of information...We have officially stopped nursing as of a week and a half ago. It wasn't really a planned thing and I'm not sure I was quite ready to just Be Done, but we were down to just morning and night anyhow and were really only aiming to get through February, but between his distractedness on the boob and his red heiny issue (Trav reminded me that while Keller stopped dairy first hand, I did not and therefore...) so after a couple mornings of him not being into it and getting a sippy of soymilk instead and a couple of evenings of sip-stop-sip-stop and on and on, that was it. The next morning came, Trav put him on my lap and when he would usually have been saying "Boobie, boobie" and trying to get in my shirt, he didn't say it and instead reached for a book:( Sad mommy. It took all my power not to offer it to him, knowing I should take the opportunity to let it fizz out naturally for him (if not me). And so that's that. I still make sure to get a little cuddle in with him on my lap in the morning either with a book or with his cereal or milk. I still need my cozy time:)
And one final boobie story to share...up at the end of this nursing thing, I think Keller was thinking I had like four boobs! I'd be start nursing on one side and he'd stop and say, no, no, no! So I'd offer the other side and he'd say no, no, no! Then he'd try to go down the top of my shirt (I have some sleep shirts that have big v-necks and so rather than pulling the shirt up from the bottom, I'd pull it down from the top.) So he came to think that there was one boob accessed from below and one from above, on each side! I'd occasionally oblige him and say something like, "Oh, you want THIS boobie?" Yeah, silly boob games. Poor kid is going to be awfully disappointed the first time he gets to second base with a girl!! And so the girls (all four of them!) get a five month break from abuse before the next one arrives!!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Glad the girls are getting a break for a while. :)