So I took Keller to the doctor this evening after him having a fever more or less since Wednesday afternoon. First Trav and I talked it up to a random bug since there were no other symptoms aside from fatigue/sleepiness. Thursday morning he was fine so I dragged him out to run some errands and he zonked right out when we got home. When he woke up from his nap, he ate a little and fell asleep on me again for a couple more hours. He woke up with a fever of 103.5 Poor guy. He had a nice little burst of playtime when Trav came home, ate very little dinner and went to bed. This morning he was up early and playing like a champ. He took an earlier nap than usual and woke up with a fever of about 101, not bad. He ate a little lunch, and then I noticed his lips and hands were pretty much blue. I called the doctor's office but it was the answering service/lunchtime so I said I'd call back in 10 minutes when they were expected to return. By then, lips and hands were fine and Keller was playful again for a little bit and then we had a nice little family nap on the couch. (Trav was able to stop home from work for a little while:) So Trav leaves and I call the doctor after Keller has a 101.8 fever (and taking into account this is day 3 of fever, his lips were blue for a few minutes, and he's got four teeth rarin' to pop through, AND it's a Friday afternoon). Doc says to come in so we go. 103.1 fever via the heiny (we do the ear temp at home) and Keller sits up on the crinkly papered table with just his onesie on, unbuttoned, and being so knowledgeable of his bodyparts, apparently decides to show off to this lady, lifts up his shirt to the nurse and says, "Boobies!" as he pats his chest! The nice new nurse tells me what a nice shade of red I am after politely asking Keller to pick a different body part to show off! I then confessed to the nurse that I was still nursing and while my husband and I always said, "If you can ask for it, you're too old for it!" yet here I am, still nursing my boy who says to me every morning, "Booby? Booby?" THEN, the doctor is in with us and we're wrapping up and the nurse stops in to let the doc know she's leaving, then the nurse grabs her boobs and asks Keller, "What are these?" Oh my humiliating!! I don't know that I like this new nurse...I much prefer Joan and Maureen. But anyway!! We left the doctors office with a 103.6 fever AFTER having given him Motrin and with a diagnosis of "It's probably a virus, but I can't name it because he appears so healthy everywhere else" (besides the fever). Her best guess was Roseola so if that's it then we should be winding down the fever thing and expecting a rash in the next day or so. Hopefully that will be that...Unfortunately, this sick thing made me miss my visit with Becky and Candace and will keep us from spreading the germs at Cali's first birthday party tomorrow, too. Boo hoo! But I'm so glad that even though I've got a sick kid, he's in generally good spirits. In fact, at the moment, he's trying to take Bo's temperature with his thermometer...he points it at him and says "beep"...very cute little boy. But way past his bedtime. Sleepy time!
Okay, he's in bed...and as I was rocking him I thought of two more doctor office funnies...While we were in the waiting room (on the "sick" side) Keller was walking around and pointed at the toys and books and said, "dirty"...hmmm, I wonder who taught him that??? Ooops, maybe since the first visit there I may have been saying that...It's cool that he can remember that though, we haven't been there in awhile.
The other funny was after the nurse came in and gave him the squirt of Motrin, he looks at her and says, "More, more!" She laughed and said he can have more later. Then she said, "Did you like that?" and he, looking up at her just nods his head (in the "yes" fashion) So cute, love the yes nod. This morning, too, he had picked up the Tylenol bottle on his changing table and said to me, "Opern, opern" (open). Uh, oh...hopefully this is not a sign of things to come!!
2 comments:
Richie still asks for my Tylenol when he is given a dose too. Hope Keller is feeling better soon.
Glad like it sounds as if he is on the mend..and oh yes..all that saccharin strawberry flavored goodness in kids medicine..mm...mine sees the dropper and her mouth goes "pop" open.
Post a Comment