Monday, September 21, 2009

All Better

So I'd say Keller's cold lasted about a week with some sniffles and the cough.  Thankfully the fever was short lived and so what if his ears smelled like garlic for a little while from the eardrops.  We go back to the Dr. on Wednesday so she can peek in and see if there's anything going on still, but I think he's good to go!  The funny thing about the eardrops was that as crazy as Keller goes on the changing table screaming and squirming and being a fairly impossible subject of a diaper change, he would lie perfectly still and quiet when it came time for the drops...weird.  Only thing I can think of is that they provided instant relief?  Who knows...but he is definitely not a fan of the diaper change, particularly in the morning, particularly with mommy, and particularly at night.  The other ones are just squirmy in general...What happened to the little boy that would lie happily on the changing table grinning and gurgling?  Travis used to call a diaper change Keller's "reset" button because everything would be better in the world once you laid him on the changing pad...no more!
Our first week of work went well I'd say, particularly considering it was a full Monday through Friday deal which is unusual.  So we'd be up and out by 6:40--ugh!  Make the kids breakfast, get them ready for school, one out to the bus each morning for Kindergarten and on M, W, and F we brought the other one to preschool, which made those mornings nice and quiet for me and Keller.  Pick up from preK at noon and get back to the house for the bus drop off at 12:30, make lunch and hang out until 4 when the mom comes home.  MWF was easy.  Now Tuesday was a bit of a challenge, me and Keller and a 3 and a half year old girl who LOVES to play dollies...I don't know that I'm such a very good dollies player, but I tried my best, and I played duck duck goose over and over with her (and Keller in his stroller)...so needless to say, Tuesday morning was very loooonnnnggg, and so on Thursday morning we made plans to go to the park which was a much better way to pass the morning since there were other kids coming and going.  That made the whole idea of a mom's group crystal clear to me:)  I don't mind hanging out at home all day with Keller.  He's pretty independent with his playing and crawling around and checking things out, but really, once kids get a little bigger, they really do need other kids to play with...desperately!  So hopefully now that my sister-in-law Marisa is no longer selling hotdogs at my brother's hotdog stand, she can bring Samantha (another dolly lover) to play with us on Tuesdays or Thursdays!  All in all though, they seem to be a good family and good kids (albeit 3 and 5 year olds and all that entails;) and this week is off and next week is a three day work week so it seems as if it will be manageable and allow us to even put a little cash each month into savings again and get us out of the house and perhaps one of the best parts is that when I'm out of the house with Keller, like when I was up at my sister's, he actually gets more attention from me because I'm not fiddling around on the computer, or doing the dishes, or trying to get anything else done.  My job is to hang out with him and the other kids so I don't "feel like I should be getting something done" which seems to always be looming overhead when I'm at home.  But anyway...
This weekend was Samantha's 4th birthday!  Nuts that she's so big!  My brother just took off her training wheels on her bike and she's already riding on her own!  Keller loved being at her party in the little ball pit and driving in the purple jeep with Cali (supervised of course)--it's cute that they're so close in age.  And on Sunday Trav and I did a couple of house drive-bys, one of which was on the same road as Trav's sister, so we stopped in for a quick visit there too and got to see the little Miss Piper who's getting so big too!  I can't believe how quickly little babies become big babies and then real live kids!  Scary!
And so I wait for Mr. Magoo to fall asleep in his crib for his nap so that we can get up and out and run some errands this morning.  Off to the shower...quick!!

No comments: