**(see note) So this poor little blue boy was dragged to the tree farm today, apparently against his will. We even forgot the Bjorn so I carried him around. He was in good spirits all morning, in the car and even as we bundled him in his toasty suit and hiked up the tree farm hill. Then the cranks started in eventually making way for full-fledged crying. We did a quick job finding a good little tree . Hopefully Trav won't be allergic to it like last year (see December 2007 posts). My theory this year was that if we buy a fresh one it won't have the allergens that a tree cut down a couple of weeks ago and shipped from Canada might have. We'll see what happens. 

As we were walking through the trees, Trav was expressing that he felt bad about cutting down a tree, which I understand, but I stood up for our action by explaining how we were supporting local business and small farmers, which is true, although in the past I've preferred buying pre-cut because I hated thinking that if they weren't bought they'd just be mulched or worse, end up at the dump. Poor trees. Poor little blue baby. Poor allergic Travis. Poor me who overthinks EVERYTHING.

This final picture is Trav's justification for cutting down the tree. He figured at least he was going out and hunting like his ancient ancestors would have had to do. He tracked and slaughtered this tree like a pro. But alas--we have a cute little tree still on the roof of my car.
After the tree cutting, we had a nice visit with my parents and Abby and Shan. Keller enjoyed being held by his grandma, grandpa, and aunt Abby. He was mesmerized by the fire...one day he'll have a house with a fireplace, too.
(**note: don't know why the top paragraph is underlined...it was blue, too but I fixed that. Also, I am getting better at the one-handed blog-post typing, just like Amy said I would...please excuse any errors and be glad to be reading and seeing anything at all here!!)
5 comments:
Yeah, what's up with the blue underlines I wonder?? I had the same issue.
One handed typing with baby in tow gets much easier...
:)
I get the underlined paragraph from time to time and don't know how to fix it other than typing in a different place (ie after the photo instead of before).
Here are a few links for Trav on why real trees are better and it is actually better for the environment to cut one down than "dig" it up. When you dig up a tree you are taking the soil as well as the root system which ultimately breakdown and make the best soil for planting. Not mention it can cause erosion and a host of other problems if you remove the soil along with the tree.
http://www.christmastree.org/myths.cfm
http://www.christmastree.org/facts.cfm
Jen--I knew I'd get some input from the Christmas Tree Farm expert! Thanks!
I still think the reason Trav was allergic to the tree last year was b/c it grew mold on itself while being packed in the truck on the way down from Canada. He'll be fine this year..and besides, in a weird way cutting down a real tree is better for us all environmentally anyways.
Post a Comment