Sunday, April 6, 2008

Finger-Pickin' Good!!

Last night Travis and I went to see a show that I bought tickets for over 6 months ago and have been eagerly awaiting since then! I finally got to see the David Grisman Quintet who I've wanted to see for years now but everytime I'd look up the tour dates it had always just passed or else were only in Pennsylvania or Upstate NY or whatever and always at those random places on a weeknight so I never bought tickets until now! AND we didn't even have to leave state to see them. Abby and her fiance ended up buying tickets as well so we went to their place for a yummy dinner first and then headed over to the theater. The show was at a great small theater that we've seen a few shows at in the past couple of years and regardless of your seats, you have a good view. I bought tickets so long ago that we were 5 or 6 rows back on the aisle so when I sat down, I had a big ol' smile on my face because I had an absolutely PERFECT view of all 5 guys and their hands and fast moving fingers/hands. If you don't know David Grisman, he's a rather famous mandolin player who had collaborated with Jerry Garcia for a number of albums, their most famous of which is called Shady Grove. This album was introduced to me when Jen and I lived in Willington and hung out with the "Hillbillies" as we called them, a housefull of hippy guys/gals who often hosted enormous bonfires and you sat on giant tree stumps that had been chain-saw-carved into actual chairs! The entertainment was usually the guys playing their own guitars, mandolin, or banjo...It was always a fun, laid-back time going there...My how times have changed! Since then, I have hijacked some of Trav's extensive collection of Grisman music which has become more jazzy and latiny mixed in with the bluegrass style so it's really pleasant listening. Actually, the song I walked down the aisle to at my wedding was the David Grisman version of a June Carter (Johnnie Cash's wife) song called Wildwood Flower. Lots of great memories and connections to the music. Happy, smiling, feel good music. (Too bad it was at a "sit and watch" theater)...I guess you have to wait for the summer outdoor venues to get any good boogeying in these days!

Here's a link to a recent David Grisman show, however this show has more musicians than the standard quintet...but, you have to live in Colorado or California to get to see a show like this!! Connecticut is just not cool enough!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bTzHszWLVRs&feature=related

No comments: