Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Trying New Recipes

So I know I said in a previous post about my restrictive diet that I should really make a point of trying out some new recipes and I'm glad to be able to say I've been doing this...We've had a few nice new meals thanks to my dietary needs.  I've been a bit of a slacker lately and have been eating foods with soy in it over the past week or so...it didn't seem to be bothering Keller, but now we can clearly see that his face is acting up a little more again so no more Smart Balance fake butter for me...

Above is a picture of the Black Bean Cilantro Polenta I made a week ago...soooo yummy:)  I'd definitely make it again...and easy, too...very important!  Note Travis' "fork-effect"in the photo---hey, it reminds me of Clebnick's quarters or pitchforks to show scale in his rock pictures, anyone remember?
We also tried a peanut, onion, and tomato sauce over rice...it was "okay"---not excited about making that again.  And a couple of weeks back we made our way to an Asian market and came across some boxed "spice blends" for a few Indian dishes.  They have only just "real" ingredients/spices...no additives/preservatives and yummy!  We made the Chana Masala the other night and I just had the leftovers for lunch today...delicious!

Hmm, what else...we made a vegetarian Shepard's Pie but that's kind of cheating because we use fake meat crumbles (not real food as far as I'm concerned) not to mention that the yummy gravy that goes with it relies on soy sauce...Next will have to be something with butternut squash because we've had one sitting around here for awhile.  Oh, and how can I forget to tell about the soy and dairy free chocolate chips I've been buying?  I've made two different cookie recipes with them, one from the Rice Milk box and today I made an oatmeal chocolate chip recipe...practically good for me!!  Hey, momma needs her sweets and there's so little splurging I can do these days.
But, all my food issues are worth it in the end because I have this cute little boy who has challenged us to essentially eat better.  Doesn't he look so cute, like a little boy that likes to take naps?  ha!  that's funny...you should have heard the bargains I was trying to make with him today to get him to sleep longer than the two twenty minute naps he pulled off...He now lies sleeping in his swaddle bag in his nice dark bedroom...nevermind...this kid is ridiculous about his napping!!!  Gotta love him though!!

3 comments:

Vicky said...

I'm glad you are finding some new stuff to eat. Keller is adorable as always even if he doesn't nap ;)

vanessa said...

Well guess what? We're in similar circumstances... but I am not diminishing your pain cause we have it far better than you... Reilly started throwing up after having milk, and after a few weeks of this, I brought him to the dr, so no milk or dairy for him for 2 wks... and it's hard to get this guy his protein!! I really relied on cheese! It's not like he's going to take to any kind of meat if it tastes like meat, so seasoning and sauces are hard. I think I might try that black bean polenta. That looks really good!! And where's this Asian market? Do tell! Oh the joys of motherhood. But soo worth it! And I'll add onto your lack of naps that even though I've been thrown up on more times than I can count through this "possible allergen" process, no one makes me smile like my boy. :)

Rebecca said...

I'm going to send you some recipes..you know..the ones that are going to be in my cookbook! :)