"The tornado warning was issued around 6:00 p.m. for parts of Fairfield and New Haven counties. An area of Stratford and Milford took the brunt of that storm, but there are no reports a tornado actually formed."
Yup, I think I was in 'the brunt' of that storm, pulled over in a church parking lot where there were no trees to fall on me, hail pounding down on my car, crying because I was so scared...waiting for a tornado to come through to pick me up...I was on my way home from a trip up to Berlin to 1) exhaust my options for furniture and 2) take a break from the doggy that was driving me nuts! The rain started on my way up there, stopped for awhile and then picked up again on the way home, slow going, but fine, until I hit the Sikorsky Bridge where visibility was like 2 feet. Waiting at the traffic light in the downpour with an erie looking sky, small bits of hail began to fall. Then once I turned up the hill (towards our wedding park) it was so so dark, trees were blowing, hail was much bigger...close to the size of those little gumball machine bouncy balls, leaves and branches littered the street, there was a car pulled over with blinkers on, I didn't know if they knew something I didn't, like..."tornado ahead" but I kept driving because I didn't want to pull over under trees that could fall on me...by now I'm starting to get teary, heart palpitating, turn up the next road and can see nothing but big white chunks bouncing off my windshield, wondering if they could crack it...I wanted to pull over and just stop driving but again...trees, then came the church with cars in the lot so I pulled in there and sat, scared and sobbing...after 20 minutes or so, it stopped hailing so I headed out (mind you, I'm only like 2 miles from home) head up the street until I got to a downed tree, turned around, check my message from Trav that says "I hope you're in shelter, there maybe a tornado coming through Stratford," consider going into a strangers house to sit in their basement, but I didn't and drove down the next road...big flooded area...I watched the truck in front of me go through water almost to the top of his tires...my little Subaru wouldn't make it...turn around to try plan C...heading down mainstreet until I see a cop blocking the road, water and a tree down/electrical lines...turn again, more water I refuse to go through, eventually I found my way down Main Street, up Highland, so so close to home, another huge tree in front of me, power lines down...I just wanted to be home. Trav calls says not to come down one side of our road due to flooding so I hit the next block, go through water, just needing to be home now, car makes funny noise, I reassured it we were almost home, get through the water, make it home at last...joining Travis in his water clean-up in the bathroom and kitchen which were soaked from the windows having been open. And that was my Thursday adventure...I hope my car starts today!!
Still no furniture decision;)
3 comments:
Wow that was scary. I'm glad you are ok.
Isn't that scary?!? I had a similar situation in Georgia. Glad to hear you and your belly made it home OK!
That sounds REALLY scary...wow.
Post a Comment