Wednesday, January 2, 2008

An Epiphany

Okay, so all those who know me well know my issues about the "personal note" in the Christmas card, right? And because I've historically made such a big deal out of it, in order for me to live up to my own expectations, card writing can be a rather time-consuming affair. Because of this fact, I confess to have sent out a mere 12 cards this holiday season, either to people who live across the country and I wanted to just check in with or else to people that I really had something to write about in the card. See, I really actually enjoy the act of writing to people. I used to be much more of a letter writer, postcard sender, etc. with my trademark waves, stars, and swirls decorating the document and/or envelope. And I still enjoy that process, but can't possibly maintain the rigor for all 50 or so folks I'd like to acknowledge on the holidays.

Which brings me to my acknowledgement of truly coming to appreciate the photo-greeting (if I may call it that). In the earlier years of receiving these, while I always liked the picture, I still could complain about the impersonal-ness of it. However, more recently, they have really been growing on me and in very early December I find myself clearing the fridge in anticipation of real life, hard copies of all the new little people that have indirectly become part of our lives. The fridge gets filled out and I find myself just enjoying looking at the pictures while eating breakfast or dinner. I keep track of who I haven't received yet (Jen, I was well aware that Molly took a little longer than the other kids getting up there;) (Marisa, I'm still waiting!!) In fact, last year, Travis expressed disappointment that we hadn't received an updated picture of Maribeth's little girl. While he's only met her a couple of times, she apparently made quite an impression. I told Maribeth of our disappointment and this year we received both a picture AND some artwork to post. Very cute. And Vicky, this year's ongoing joke has been about "that Becca and Richie"...either Travis or I keep finding that they both tend to jump off the fridge and find themselves on the floor...(and that's just their picture!!)

So while epiphany is not quite the right word for what I'm trying to say, it will have to do. I can honestly come to say that I LIKE the holiday card. I like to see the special picture that was obviously painstakingly chosen. I LIKE to see pictures of friends and families living far away. I LIKE that I get to stick all those faces up on the fridge. And I LIKE that I'm finally coming to be okay with the fact that life is busy, yet who Doesn't like to get a piece of mail acknowledging a relationship, acknowledging the spirit of the season, even if it's a pre-printed photo-card with computer printed address labels. If all those people who sent me a card decided to only send out the measly (but of high content value) 12 cards I managed, for sure I would have received hardly any mail. So thank you all who thought of me/us, took the time to take photo after photo of yourselves or your child/ren, put them in envelopes, address, stamp, and mail them. Personal note or no, I appreciate every card I receive and will plan, next year, to do more of a mass mailing. Even if it means printed labels and a picture of me and Trav in front of our white, fiber-optic Christmas tree.

No comments: