Monday, July 16, 2007

We're Home...

We had a great trip to the Cape! The first few days were overcast and chilly, but perfect for being lazy, just what we needed to unwind. During those days we kayaked around the pond right outside our cottage, read a lot, bicycled to the beach, played paddle ball or whatever it's called at the beach, and even caught a Drive-In movie (I haven't been to one of those since the original Superman). We saw Ratatouille followed by Pirates of the Caribbean (I fell asleep, just like during Superman...we didn't get home until 2 am...of course I fell asleep!) It was fun just being at the Drive in with the speaker in the window and all...



This is Travis crossing the bridge on our commute to get to the beach. We rode a bike trail through the woods to for just over 2 miles to get there...so nice...Below is our Anniversary picnic on the beach. We went to a beach that had live reggae/calypso music playing and hung around until the bugs were eating us alive!




The kayaks below are in the salt pond that lead out to a salt marsh. I, being the nautical expert that I am (sarcasm), thought it might be a good idea to put the boats in just before the official low-tide time so that we could easily get out into the marsh and then by the time it was time to return (after the official low-tide time) then of course beginning at exactly 6:15, the tide would then be coming in and therefore help us back to where we came from (I've had the experience of paddling against the tide with Jenn in the past and knew it wasn't a nice thing)...So we went out, paddling happily along and then we realized that the lovely pond and canal we were paddling through were only about 6 inches deep! It was cool though because we could see straight through to the bottom. I made lots of hermit crab friends, came across mussel colonies, lots of lettucey seaweed, and even saw a little white eel of some sort slither out of the sand! It was really cool. I did get beached at one point because I went to far out to where the water was even more shallow, but we never had to get out and pull our boats like another couple we saw literally walking their boats in! While I was busy watching the scurrying of creatures beneath the surface, Trav was busy watching the sky for birds and setting up his angle for the impending sunset. It was quite an adventure!


We also managed to get lost in a forest of trails trying to get to the ocean from a different pond we had gone to...that debacle ended up being a 9 mile hike!! Thank goodness the return trip ended at the beautiful clear kettle pond we had left from!


The cottage we stayed in was perfect for our needs, riding distance to the ocean, steps away from a pond, updated, with porch and lots of birds to watch, frog sounds at night (annoying...thank goodness for the window fan to drown them out!), definitely loads more to explore up there! Perhaps next year!






Cheers to one year of marraige and to many more ahead!!













2 comments:

passaro said...

I had a fantatic time with my girl...lets do it again, please, please, please!

Vicky said...

Great pictures of your trip.