Thursday, May 5, 2011

Gifts

I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do about gifting people anymore. Important people. People that I want to give something nice to. People that are good to me and are thoughtful and I love. People who love me and my husband and my children. Namely, my parents. Their birthdays come and go, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and I always try and try to think of something thoughtful and meaningful. It was much easier as a kid or even teenager because you could always ask "the other" parent what the other "needed"/wanted. And there was always something that truly was needed...socks, handkerchiefs, slippers, a wok;) But now, it seems like "needs" are less. They are at the point that when they need something, they get it, which is where Travis is too so he gets no gifts anymore, either;) So, important events come and go. For example, Christmas this year...nothing. I didn't get them a gift. I had been getting them a restaurant gift certificate but how many of those do you keep giving someone? Sure, I had a little something for them, but I told myself I would keep my eyes peeled for a good idea to come along, concert or theater tickets or something like that. Nothing came along and I forgot. I'm just out of the loop anyway so I don't even know when something they might enjoy does come around. Dad's birthday was the day after Easter. When we saw him on Easter, Keller was able to hand him a gift bag with candy from the neighbor that we didn't want in the house. I told him when Keller wasn't around that that wasn't "really" a gift. Keller also put one of his toy cars in there, too because "it's nice to give someone a gift when it's their birthday." But I'm still stuck. Last night I looked at the calendars of a bunch of music venues and found nothing of interest. And I'm seeing my parents on Saturday. I'd like to be all caught up on my "gifting" then...not that it's even something that I should feel obligated to "catch up" on even. It's the gesture. It's the thought. My thoughts are just non-existent or way to expensive. I need to relax about it. I need to take a few minutes of time and pick out a nice card. Buy some flowers. Isn't that what FTD was invented for? This reminds me of a woman on my soccer team who I made the mistake of asking what her "work" was. Some online greeting card company. She spoke from her heart in a very business-like manner about how she loved her work because she had the honor of sharing "heartfelt greetings" with others. With allowing others to share their own personal "heartfelt greetings" with people that are important to them. Man, I should probably just go to her website and I could be avoiding this whole conundrum altogether. But anyway. Keep it simple, Lisa. It's the acknowledgement of appreciation and love that matters most. Any good ideas out there (besides See's chocolates, Mrs. Fox;)...

No comments: