Monday, July 14, 2008

Back from the Cape


Trav and I arrived back home yesterday early afternoon after a wonderful and relaxing trip to Eastham in Cape Cod. We stayed at the same place as last year, which was nice and comfortable and this time were able to explore more of our surroundings, mostly via our bikes. Trav did lots of (almost daily) fishing on the pond the cottage is on (never caught anything though), and we went to a different pond/lake/ocean beach every day for a dip or to just sit. Sitting was the theme of this vacation for sure, though actively sitting, if there's such a thing:) We sat in the cottage and read, we sat on the cottage deck and read (or just sat), we sat on our bicycles to ride to 4 different beaches and consequently sat at each beach (on our new "backpack" chairs that we brought with us everywhere we went on our bikes...novel and comfortable upon arrival, but on our longest (8 mile?) bike ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail we were both ready to ditch our chairs which were acting like sails in the wind (not to mention they're kind of heavy and uncomfortable), but alas, we sucked it up and made it to our destination and the 8 mile ride home was thankfully MUCH easier.



On Wednesday (July 9) we celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary with our now official "tradition" of pie a la mode and wine on the beach. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the strawberry rhubarb pie from our wedding bakery this year so we had to go with your standard apple which, like last year, we put in the oven to heat before we left for dinner. After dinner we stopped home, grabbed the warm pie, cold ice cream and wine (and backpack chairs) and hit the beach for sunset. A lovely evening. (And yes, I did have a long awaited glass of wine (or portion thereof since it wasn't that great) to celebrate our anniversary and the excitement of the year to come!

Here is a classic "Lisa-shot"...meaning eyes-closed (or otherwise ridiculous expression). This is our first ever miniature golf experience together at quite possibly the most primitive golf course on the Cape. We went there because we arrived at the Drive-In (note sign in background) early so we parked the car in a prime drive-in spot and walked out to the mini-golf. I still stink at mini-golf because I don't like to concentrate during my leisure activities...On Friday we hit Provincetown for a walkabout on the strip there. We had passed a pizza place that smelled soooo good when we first got there and I noticed it had a deck overlooking the harbor, but we were rushing to find a public restroom for the pregnant girl and it wasn't quite eating time yet. So I bathroomed, we strolled, went in a handful of shops, and then went to find the pizza place...unfortunately, as is our fortune with dinner, there's always some kind of issue, need, catch, conundrum it seems, and the pizza place with the irresistibly scented pizza and deck was nowhere to be found (we walked up and down the same strip like 4 times in disbelief that we couldn't find it). Gone. Regardless, we found another restaurant with a deck right on the beach and enjoyed a delicious pizza and a cold beer...Can you spot the impostor below?...No, I didn't order a real beer, I tried my first ever O'Douls...tastes strikingly familiar to Natty Light...




And finally, you get your belly shot below, as gruesome and voluptuous as it gets (okay, I admit it WILL be getting much worse over the next 12 weeks before it gets better, that's for sure!!). Yeah, I should have bought the pregnant lady bathing suit but I figured why bother...now I see why I should have bought the darn suit...the hands and face are making reference to my 26 weeks of "gachungus"...lovely.

And now we're back in the swing of things...The dog returned home after "camp" at Jill's and my parents' houses where he was able to hang out outside most of the days and apparently played non-stop. When he came home yesterday, all he did was sleep all afternoon... very unusual for him, but good for us to get to ease back into being home ourselves. Summer school started today...doesn't seem like it will be so bad...only 9 days left of that...then I'm off to the Jersey shore for vacation #2!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

You look great Lisa. I think your anniversary tradition of pie and wine on the beach is very sweet. Great sunset photo too. Glad you had a good trip.