Monday, June 2, 2008

I Did It!!


Okay, so for the past 3 years I've had this website/service bookmarked on my computer and would check in periodically, thinking, considering...and today, I did it!! I ordered a fresh batch of local organic produce to be delivered to our house! While this very first one I ordered was the "trial" supply, if all goes well, I will set us up for automatic delivery every 2 weeks. Yay for fresh produce!
What put me over the edge and made me actually Do It?...the Naturopath. I saw her today and we just were chatting about all kinds of stuff and when she asked about my diet I was telling her it's not bad BUT that I know I need to be doing better about eating more veggies. I had already discussed how I was uninterested in going shopping for prego clothes because of my dislike of shopping so I shared that grocery-getting is much the same for me...I had also confessed that I wasn't very good about actually buying organic produce, mostly because I don't have the "If you eat this, then this will happen to you." All I know is that it's better for you, which apparently isn't enough or hasn't been enough for me to switch from the less expensive fruit/veggie varieties (being the bargain shopper that I am when I do venture into the store.) ANYWAY, she pretty much just confirmed that yes, organic is hands down better for you and "Why don't you try out one of those delivery services?" I remembered the one I had bookmarked years ago and had even recently checked in on and decided that I needed to just GO FOR IT. They send you whatever is in season and you can chooose your box size based on your family size. I ordered the "Bitty Box" just to try it out--I really hope it's a good fit because that would MAKE us have fresh produce in the house and will stretch out the frequency of having to get to the grocery store (and therefore reduce the random purchases that arise when I go there and see what's on sale). I'll let you know how it works out. My first delivery is expected next week. Yippy for fresh ORGANIC food delivered to my front door. Here's the link if you're interested: https://east.doortodoororganics.com/index.php?session_id=90927706&user_id=5612

If they don't deliver to your area, they will UPS it...or else there's probably a different company that does the same.
She also pushed me over the edge on using my Nalgene bottle because I've been waiting for my Sigg bottle that Tasha bought for me but we've both been on the busy side so haven't been able to connect...So Nalgene goes bye bye officially...of course I just realized that even the Sigg bottles are Aluminum (not good) but to keep the aluminum from leaching they have an "epoxy" liner...which is...plastic, not the BPA kind of plastic but I think it's just a number of years before the next kind of plastic is on the bad list... So I might just bite the bullet and get myself a stainless steel one from somewhere. Yeah, I could just let it all go but I think I've done that long enough. I KNOW on the inside that certain things just don't seem right so I need to honor that KNOWING and just make the changes that I mean to make. I can be such a hypocrite sometimes...able to tell everyone else what's the right thing to do but then not living by my own recommendations...dingbat! Lazy dingbat! Bring on the changes!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I struggle with a lot of what you're saying. There's so many changes we need to make, really how can one person do them all? Sometimes we have to pick and choose the changes we make because no one will ever be 100% on board with everything "right". (and what's good for you today may be bad tomorrow, as you mentioned...or vice versa). You do what you feel is best and works for you and your family. Acknowledging the need to make changes and taking steps is so much more than most Americans do... but I think it's almost important to remember not to beat yourself up about the changes that you don't make for whatever reason....

There's my 2 cents for the day! :)

Rebecca said...

I went to the website myself to see what was available. And for what you pay in the store these days that is really cheap...ok really inexpensive..I don't want people to think you're cheap or anything.. The "Bitty Box" would be plenty for this house as well. When it comes to your house I can't wait to see you post a picture of how it looks. And if looks good I'm getting on board as well, seeing they said they would deliver to the whole state.