So get to school this morning, check my school email to find that I'm getting "robbed" of a week's pay next year...The one freakin' year that I've already got every penny accounted for as I've been budgeting for taking the rest of the year off following our big October guest-for-life debut. So yeah, I know recession, budget cuts, across the board financial troubles, but, but when I've already seen the proposed salary scale, when I've already lost the opportunity to pick up a few weeks of working summer school (and booked/paid for vacations that will now keep me from taking a job even if I wanted one), I feel like the ridiculous company I'm working for is just reaching into my pocket and helping themselves to 1500 bucks...grrrr....For the last 8 years I have returned back to school 2 weeks ahead of all of the other teachers in the state of CT, being okay with it though because I knew I'd be getting paid. And yes, I also know that upon looking for another job in the future, I would be willing to work for less pay in a district that has a shorter school day and year...but for goodness sake, the one freakin' year I am truly depending on that cash....ugh! The worst part is that this all came about after ongoing budget negotiations between the 'sending districts' who send kids to my school...and so somehow, it is as if digging into the teachers' pockets is how these budget/tuition troubles have been balanced...so my week of no pay is paying for little Billy from such and such a town's education...I hate businesses...I hate that schools are businesses. Now the teacher talk at a meeting I was at today was all about how we can really make our school look good in the media after all the bad press it's been getting throughout the budget wars...Media Schmedia is what I say. I have no interest in trying to Sell my school...that's not my job and I am not one for playing games or for doing something because it 'looks good'...All this crap has really helped me even more distance myself from that working environment. While it will be some other drama in another district, at least I'll be starting fresh somewhere else and I won't have a grudge to begin with.
Now I think I might look into walking neighborhood dogs this summer to pick up some extra cash...Hmmm...anyone going away or know anyone going away that needs some dog/pet/plant care? Might as well...We'll see if I actually make that happen; it will have to be a rather stringent interview process between me and the dog.
In the grand scheme of things none of this actually matters...it's just the principle of the whole situation. Done complaining. Have a nice day!
3 comments:
Wait, I don't get it. How can they just take one week's pay away? What does the Teacher's Union have to say about this? And why is it YOUR fault that "little Billy" lives in "X" town and has a different quality of education awaiting him when he gets to school? The state should pay for stuff like that, not the teachers. I mean you guys are strapped as it is! Buying your own supplies and whatnot..ridiculous.
Clarification...our school year is beginning a week later than originally planned which is how they are taking that week's pay away...I've already inquired with the Union, but our contract doesn't designate a number of days of a schoolyear...
Post a Comment