Thursday, September 15, 2011

Keller's First Day of School


So the long awaited first day of school was today for Keller. And it was good all around. He was excited for it and I am ready for him to be trying something new on his own. So a win-win! While of course we've been up in the air about the "when to start your fall boy in school" thing, and the concerns of him being "little" and young, we're at peace with knowing that we can do two or three years of preschool and all is still good in the world. I met a dad today who's son has a birthday right around Keller's and we talked a little about it and the father was funny because he was saying that he knows all the research says it's better to hold them out but that having been the stay home dad, he is ready to start getting back into the professional world and I could totally sense his torn-ness but also his knowing it was the right choice for his family. Perhaps I recognized that because it's what I feel too. But anyway. Keller went right into the classroom happily. Sat at the table, played with some playdough and then got up to check some other things out. Parents were allowed to stay in the room for a while so I caught some cuteness going on, like when he went up to his teacher, "Umm, Miss Patty, my name is Keller" while showing her his name tag:) The other teacher said he was "feeding her" all morning, either playdough or play food or just pretend nothing food:) It's so good for him to have other kids and grown-ups to explore with, learn with, and grow with! I'm glad he's the little boy he is and I look forward to watching him become the little boy he will soon be!

Oh, and can I also just mention how difficult it was to try to find a decent, regular-looking headshot of him in all of our hundreds of pictures....seriously, he's either over-"cheese"ing, making an "I'm not going to smile" face, or else purposely looking down or away in almost every picture. Sheesh! Kids! I say....


2 comments:

JennDandy said...

Yeah! I'm glad he had a great first day. :-)

Vicky said...

So glad he had a good day! He is so cute even with the funny faces. Show his personality.