Friday, September 14, 2007

Where Do I Live???


So Trav was out of town from Wednesday night through Friday evening doing his usual Saranac consulting. It's not so bad having a couple nights of solitude, though as the weather gets cooler in the evenings, I miss the nice warm snuggle at night. Anyway, Wednesday comes and goes uneventfully on the homefront. I had a faculty meeting after school, then walked with my jogging gals (one of whom is nearly 8 months pregnant, hence the walking), after which we had a nice mexican meal together to "celebrate" my belated birthday and Vanessa's more recent birthday. It was a nice visit with the gals. I came home, checked email and blogs, locked all the windows (ever since that Cheshire incident, I'm a bit more spooked being alone), and read until my eyes wanted to close. A nice night.


Then comes last night...yesterday was a No School day, always welcome;) I got some things done in the morning around town, including a trip to the mall to use my various Macys coupons to buy dresses and accompanying accents for the upcoming sister-in-law's wedding and party a month later. The best part was even after the sales AND coupons, I got 2 $10 off coupons to use in a few weeks...not really a bad deal...Onward. So the rest of the day I straighten the house, sort of, do laundry, and poke around on the internet (I'm so good at that). I think I may have taken a nap in there, too. Then comes bedtime...


I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth and see a big Mr. Spider up on the ceiling. The other night there was a big Daddy Long Legs in there which Trav brought outside for me...I know he's harmless and all, and I know I'm all about protecting bugs and stuff, but I definitely handle bugs in a girly way when I'm trying to get them outside and they start crawling toward me (picture me rescuing a spider on a magazine and carrying magazine towards door when said spider begins crawling toward me...picture me then throwing the magazine AND spider across the room, I do the "gross spider dance" while said spider makes his escape.) Does this ever happen to anyone else??? Anyhow, Mr. Spider on the ceiling is a light brownish, somewhat translucent spider with a legspan of at least an inch and a half (not as big as the BIG spider in our living room 2 weeks ago). So Mr. Spider is allowed to stay there as I brush my teeth. He is still the whole time. I'm okay with that. My only concern is that I tend to be a night-time bathroom run type gal...one, sometimes 2 times, lights generally stay out...I don't like the idea of doing the stealth sit-on-the-toilet to have a creepy spider sneak up on me, or worse, Under me!!! Aaack!! But, I vow to suck it up and put the light on,to be sure he stays up there...I refuse to smoosh him and imagine the dances I'd be doing trying to get that spider off the ceiling...I leave the bathroom, lights out in bathrooom, lights out in kitchen, and head into the bedroom. I clean the bed off and am just about to pull down the covers when I hear, "Crick, crick, crick, crick." Wait, more accurately, "CRICK, CRICK, CRICK, CRICK!!!!!!" You've gotta be freakin' kidding me!!! First a big ol' spider, and NOW a cricket...where is that little sucker...in the kitchen...go into the kitchen, lights on, cricket's off, lights off, cricket on...Unbelievable!!! So lights off, I just listen, coming from near the table....lights on, inspect the table, look under the table, don't see anything...go to start moving the table away from the wall, notice my sneakers and just pull them out of the way when, Aaaaahhhh!!! BIG BLACK CRICKET!!! Yikes!! I was totally expecting one of those smaller brown ones...you know the "regular" ones, the one that cricked at me as I walked past him going down to get my laundry from the basement, but no, this was the real thing, a big ol' 2 inch long (nearly!) thick, antennaed, jumping (perhaps impaired though) cricket. Okay, next steps, get the newspaper and begin pushing him toward the door. Push one way, jump the other, push harder, jump jump, this thing better not jump on my toes!! Push, oh no, how is he crawling on the newspaper now? Throw the paper...oh no! Where is he? What if I go to pick up the paper and he jumps on me (I'm such a freakin' woos!!) Get the newspaper and one last good push (or fling) and he's safely outside and I'm safely cricket free...Sorry about putting your dinner outside Mr. Spider! You'd think I lived in the middle of a jungle the way my house seems to support wildlife lately...Who needs to go camping when you can stay at my house!!!
Thank goodness I'm so self sufficient!!

4 comments:

Vicky said...

I hate spiders too. If Rich is not home to take care of the creatures, I use the vacuum cleaner.

Lisa said...

Vick--but can't the spider just crawl right out? I picture it getting sucked into the tube and then giving birth to thousands of baby spiders that would then take over the world! Ha! Maybe not THAT bad...

Amy said...

In Georgia we had 3 inch + long cockroaches - not from filth just indigenous to the south. I would gag if I saw one and Chris wasn't home & I had to kill it myself - which happened frequently.

Vicky said...

I empty the canister in the garbage outside to prevent this. My aunt has your fear too. She vacuums the bugs too and then puts the vacuum in the garage until my cousin gets home to empty it.